Wednesday, September 04, 2013

The Highs and Lows

The last ten days have been nothing short of an emotional journey for me. There were the much awaited lows and the least anticipated highs.
So I have never been the kind who misses people (except my sister) but in the past few days I actually missed quite a few of them for the first time in my life. I missed Candice when I was terribly hungry one day (She’s my partner in greed). I missed the fact that I could not make random calls to people like Jane and Bless and break into songs. And ya, well, I am not going to list the names of the other people I missed. Since my evening walks provide me with ample amount of time to ruminate over my thoughts I was wondering if it had anything to do with me missing the whole Indian feel around. No, it is not going to be solved by making Indian friends here. No. No. I think when you go to a place abroad to live there for a considerable amount of time, you are at first awed by the fact that you are in a new place altogether, then you are awed by the many things that make the place ‘great’, and then after it all dies down and you get accustomed to it all, you long for what you left behind, probably not the people or the place but that feeling that you actually belonged to that place and felt free to do anything under the sun there compared to this new place where you are still exploring and trying to make friends who share interest in certain activities that you like too.
So the missing part was the only low. Now the highs J It has to begin with O, ‘whose job’ it is to take care of me and the other international students. He kept me entertained one entire Sunday by first taking me for Mass (which I had requested him to) to a Protestant Church after which he and his girlfriend invited me home for lunch. Now I had only experienced Indian and Arabic hospitality before and I used to think no other people could surpass that. I had also heard that the European way of being hospitable was different and we Indians might not fully appreciate it. That day spent at his girlfriend’s place made me think otherwise. They were exactly the way any of my Indian friends would have been had they called me over to their place. So what’s all this fuss about European hospitality? Needless to say I had a nice time and watched a Matt Damon movie after a long time.
The most important event of the week has to be that I have moved into an apartment now. Yay! So I don’t have a bed, table or cupboard, yet, but hopefully over a short period of time my room will start looking less ascetic.
Lets now come to my favorite part which happened yesterday J I went to Prague, on my own (till recently not something I did if I was unfamiliar with the place). Looking at the magnificence of the place and the beautiful historicity that I was drowning in I swear I felt like I was in a different dimension altogether. I remembered where I was exactly a year ago and what was happening in my life then. Comparing where I was, to where I had come, and how I had arrived at this point in life, I cannot help myself from being relieved about certain things that happened in the last one year. It might be too early to say so but I am glad it was worth it J

Plus, I am happy I stay in Pardubice and not Prague. Pardubice is smaller scale therefore nice, unlike Prague the streets of which looked as intimidating to me as the posh Palladium at Lower Parel. There is also one piece of advice to everyone who wants to visit Prague. DO NOT judge Trdelnik, the sweet thing I mentioned in my last post, by the shit they sell in the Old Town Square here. Probably it’s commercialized therefore tasteless and served ice cold. I will be updating on good places to have trdelnik once I find them.
So there it is. Another week well spent in the Czech Republic J

10 comments:

BleSSed said...

Awww, Jossna. I miss you too. Looks like the place is growing on you faster than I thought it would. Look forward to seeing Czech through your eyes, more and more. Love and kisses, Bless.

Nikita said...

I'm curious too- what did they mean by "European hospitality" and not appreciating it?
Do post about awesome food so we can sit here and crave it and feel annoyed because we probably won't get it here, but I'm sure eventually something will come up that you can actually get here :P Are you missing Indian food yet though?

littlemuch said...

The much awaited low! Tess I am glad that it only involved missing friends and family :)
I miss my partner in greed too!

I wish I could hop over there this instant!

Unknown said...

Tess chechi,
don't know if you know me ,but I am Lissy ma'am's(biology teacher-Rajagiri) daughter. I am greatly impressed by your writing skills and really enjoy reading both your blog and journal. I love the way you describe your experiences which made me laugh as well as think. Its been a long time since I read something to which I could relate to..........
I wish you all the best for the future. God bless!!
P.S I'm waiting for more posts
;-)

nishath said...

a new place, a new start, and the 'thoda' missing's alright... sooner than later u'll be having a bunch of misfits and never-be-able-to-live-without's there too! looking forward to that piece of blog! ;)

Yulje Handbook said...

Of course I remember you. You were such a tiny little thing back then and whenever ma'am brought you to school I was one of those who played with you. Probably you don't remember that :)

And wow, I'm glad somebody read my almost nonexistent other blog. Keep reading and commenting Noella. I would love to hear from you. And if ever you need advise on your literary education ambitions you know my e-mail id.Take care :)

Yulje Handbook said...

There is a really nice Indian place here which has extra sweet staff. They also give me free stuff :P The point being I cone here if I feel like having Indian but then I am not really fussy about food.

About European hospitality I hadn't heard nice things about it before I got the real experience of it. But then Czech culture is closer to ours than western European culture will ever be. However, do you think anything can ever beat the Indian 'atithi devo bhava' attitude towards guests? Our standards are just way too high :P

Yulje Handbook said...

Ha ha. There of course will be many more lows. At least they can be dealt with. However not the kind in which you miss people. For example, do you have any idea how difficult it is to find a friend who is as greedy as you are. And do you know how much more the task gets difficult if you want that greedy friend to be an accomplished knitter?

Yulje Handbook said...

Nishath Nizar. I did not see your comment on my precious post. Don't you know that you are one of those who simply HAS TO comment on every blog post of mine no matter how shitty it is.

Jane Borges said...

Starting afresh, always involves learning to unlearn the old...it makes one jittery, but guess it is the norm. Am glad though that your highs are compensating well for your lows.